Solitude (Loneliness) is a blessing but if you feel happy about it. You can be your best you once you know the things to do alone.
In this fast world, it’s difficult to see someone living or being alone. Right???
Loneliness is spreading and people feel solitude despite surrounded by many people.
Loneliness has become a national problem in Britain. The UK government appointed a special minister, Mims Davies to tackle this problem. prior to Davies, Tracey Crouch was holding the office.
Social isolation may give the impression that you are anti-social and unloveable. These labels are not something anyone would want today.
There is a beautiful verse in the Urdu language about the above fact and unfortunately, many people are having similar feelings:
My inner self is alone despite being in the midst of friends.
I agree that people may be surrounded by ‘friends’ but still feel as if no one is with them in this world. This one though is enough to make one sad.
Let me share a little story of mine which you can relate to.
It happens in a week or less that I call God Almighty in my heart and say “Oh God, no one is with me. I’m all alone.”
If you feel a similar way then don’t worry:
- You are not the only one who feels so.
- You are entitled to the benefits of solitude.
- You can reach new heights and achieve goals if you know what to do when alone.
Solitude opens doors to new opportunities, offer benefits. In this post, I will tell you how you can effectively use yourself when you are all by yourself.
Realize the good loneliness can bring in your life.
What's in this article...
Myths about loneliness.
Before we give you ideas first remove the ‘weeds’ grown in our minds since childhood.
Annie Siddons highlighted few myths (https://www.healthista.com/13-myths-about-the-loneliness-epidemic/) surrounding loneliness and those feel so in her post. She pointed 13-myths surround solitude.
23 things you can do Alone
You can achieve your optimum self after reading these 22 goods things you can do alone.
These activate open doors of progress and growth both in your
Things to do every day:
You can do these activities daily for length fo your choice.
career and in life; every month, every weekend, and every day
Spend time in prayers:
In the past, many people – both monotheists and polytheists – believed in life after death.
Atheism is spreading like a money plant in the 241st century.
If you feel you are alone, you can spend time praying or talking to God.
You can put forward your problems and ask for their solutions.
Remember God is all-wise and has knowledge of everything; He can solve your problems.
Learn something new
It is a task that will improve your mental abilities as well as your skills.
You can learn:
- A new language
- A new script: For example, Urdu speaker can learn to write in Devnagri script and Hindi users can learn Arabic script (used for Urdu, Arabic, and Persian languages)
- Complex mathematics such as calculus and trigonometry.
- you can put yourself forward to clean the neighborhood.
- Clean house for an elderly who lives alone.
- Donate non-perishable food to a food bank.
- Donate or raise money for your local Red Cross
- Organize a community blood drive
- Read books or letters to a person who is visually impaired
- Organize a wheelchair basketball team
- Participate in a charity race
- Volunteer to help at a charity auction.
- Contact a tree farm about donating trees, hospitals, or to families who can’t afford to buy their own.
- Organize a car wash and donate the profits to charity
- Help deliver meals and gifts to patients at a hospital.
A (good) book as a person’s best friend. It gives one knowledge & wisdom and there are many benefits of reading.
If you feel lonely spend some time with a good book
Here a link to a great book by John Perkins.
If you like, you can read magazines or newspapers or anything you prefer.
Go to the farmer’s market
- Find good items to cook or know the day’s rates of different products.
- You can also find flowers to make a nice-looking bouquet.
write a poem / book
This is a good hobby but not everyone will like it. I don’t ask you to write another ‘Harry Potter’ or write poems as Wordsworth. But, you can try to come up with a nice poem or book.
Stars twinkle in the sky,
I was gazing and wondering why,
Why my wife bakes a terrible cake.
Is this her habit or my fate.
Anyway, you can write a better version of it. Make it better down in the comments.
Years of research have shown that exercise has favorable effects on the body and the mind.
- It helps you control your weight,
- Exercise helps keep your thinking, learning, and judgment skills sharp as you age.
The above results are enough to show the importance of exercise to spend time when alone.
Also, note that loneliness results in many negative effects on the mind. The only solution is to involve yourself in exercise.
The following are some more benefits of doing exercise.
- Reduces your risk of heart diseases.
- It helps you quit smoking (this is awesome).
- It helps your body manage blood sugar and insulin levels.
join exercise class
Two people are better than one.
You can get solutions to any problems when in a group.
You dob;t want to go anywhere? No problem…
you can join an exercise class on YouTube…
Here is a list of the top 10 YouTube exercise channels.
- Leslie Sansone’s Walk at Home.
- Tune it up
- POPSUGAR Fitness.
- Fitness Blender.
- Yoga With Adriene.
You can write about your
- experiences, and
- what you learned.
In short, write your life-book. everything about you and your life.
Go for a jog/walk
Buckle your joggers and head to the nearest park for a jog or walk.
If there is no nearby park, then walk on the streets search for new places and new routes..
Make a target for you like “I will walk 2000 meters every day” then work toward it. You’ll walk 500 m one day then 550 m the other day.
Slowly move toward your target. Because the more you use your legs, the better they will become.
The food you eat had grown getting contaminated water, chemical-mixed fertilizer and sprays.
Why not grow your own organic and healthy food!?
Gardening is a great and valuable hobby.
so, spend your time with those green plants.
Do On Weekends
Go to the community center
You can go to any nearby community center or any place where people gather and guide each other for a happy living.
Challenge yourself to solve
- Find missing number
Alzeimer.net listed the following challenging game you’d want to check out.
- Fit Brains Trainer.
- Brain Fitness.
- Brain Trainer.
- Brain Metrix.
Try playing unblock car on Android; it’s a great game.
You can do these things when no one is around you or when you are all by youself.
- Take yourself out to dinner.
- Go to the movies alone.
- Visit a museum.
- Visit famous in the city
- Rearrange your furniture.
- Long drive
To do once a month:
- Go for a hike.
- Plan a trip
Now it’s your turn!
If you can add to this list then you are free to add.
write your suggestions in the comments below.